Thursday, December 4, 2008

Seatbelt Situation

Thursday, December 4, 2008
They are unavoidable! We are legally obligated by law, to use them. There use is so normalized in this day and age that for most people, they don’t even render a second thought. However, for some of us…seatbelts require more…they require strategy!

Seatbelts for me became an issue at around 350 pounds. Now, I have to use extensions in most cars. What I want to talk about right now, is how to deal with this problem when riding in other peoples cars?

The situation that arises when riding in a friends or coworkers car is to me intolerable emotionally and physically. It begins with me trying to slide into the car as fast as I can, hoping to get the seat belt situation surveyed and under control before the driver gets in to witness my dilemma.

Most of the time, I’m able to slide my hand down to my side, and hold my seat buckle low enough at my side, that I don’t think anyone can tell I’m not bucked up. Still, I agonize over whether the driver be it friend or coworker notices what I’m doing. If they do, what are they thinking? “Oh my god…she is so fat she can’t buckle up!”. Eventually holding the strap down gets painful, especially on 4 or 5 or trips. I can’t fully participate in conversation or twist around in my seat to look at things because of this. Riding with friends, cruising for fun and enjoying road trips is simply and ear mark of youth that I’m missing.

In my own car, I use an extension. I can’t just take extensions with me in other cars however, as different cars need different extensions. Plus I would have to ask my friends or coworkers to get them for me from their dealership. Can you imagine that conversation?

Well, I don’t really have a solution to this problem yet. I just wanted to write about it, since it comes up so often! Does anyone else have this issue? If you do, how do you deal with it. I’m looking for advice here, so please somebody, anybody (all you lurkers) give me some ideas.

1 comments:

Karyn said...

If you have good friends whose cars you spend a significant amount of time in, I think you should be honest with that friend and ask them to order an extension for you (at your cost) so when you ride with them you are legal and safe.

A good friend will not think less of you ..... and it will give them a look into the reality of your world that they probably never have thought of before.

 
Honestly FAT. Design by Pocket