Saturday, May 23, 2009

Movie Theater Seats

Saturday, May 23, 2009
Last night I went and saw Star Trek the motion picture. I'm a total trek nut, better known as a Trekkie. We pulled up to the theater and discovered Star Trek was not showing there at all! Any other person might think, “So go to a different theater.” The problem with that train of thought, is that I had already been to this one, and therefore knew that it was in fact a “Fat Friendly” theater. What is a fat friendly theater? Simple...the arm rests on the theater seats are created to raise up. I'm not saying that every fat person has a big butt, but come on...most of us do! My fat butt has created some rather uncomfortable moments at theaters before.


I have had to silently endure the pain of theater seats without raising arm rests in the past. Present company always concluded that I enjoyed the movie, the same they did. They were wrong! As they screamed in fear I screamed in pain, as they sighed in disbelief I sighed in pain. Lol.


The above however, is actually the lesser of two evils. Yes, there is a worse experience then than a painful seat. I've had the sadistically amusing yet deeply shameful and embarrassing experience of asking to return the movie ticket for a refund.


We were the first movie goers in the theater. The minute I saw the seats, I began to eye ball the arms rests with a resentful suspicion. I tried to raise them, confirmed the worst... there was no give! Panic set in for a split second. But then I remembered who I was with (my sister) and panic quickly receded to extreme anxiety. She looked at me and said... “Just try it, there is no one in here yet.”. I did a quick look around, and she was right. So I tried it. The result was not what you might think. Laughter! I had high plained between the two armrests. She looked at me with the sort of expression that could either turn into pity or mirth. My uncontrollable (perhaps nervous and slightly embarrassed) laughter quickly had her quietly giggling too.


We briefly discussed what to tell the supervisor when we asked for a refund (the tickets are almost 10$), and decided to tell him the truth. People hardly ever have much to say in these types of situations when they are handed the truth. When he asked me why we wouldn't stay I simply said “Oh, because my ass it too fat for your theater seats.” He didn't know how to respond to that...got flustered and just gave me my money back. It was embarrassing at the moment...but I find it amusing now.


Well one experience like that was enough to teach me to be much more careful about the theaters I attend. Which brings me back to my complete disappointment last night when my safe theater was not playing Star Trek! My complete and total fealty to the Trek Universe won over my fear of unknown theater seats, and went to a different one. And I'm so happy we did! It was a pleasant surprise. Not only did the seats arm rests raise, there was a little strip of padding between the seats that resembled a type of bucket bench seat! And they leaned back and tipped forward.


It was a very pleasant experience. I was very comfortable for the entire movie, and really able to enjoy it. The movie...was fantastic.

5 comments:

437 said...

H.F., can I relate. There's a certain movie theater here in town that has the smallest seats. I swear it has brought tears to my eyes in the past. It's a mega plex so they always have all the good movies, and they let you butter your own popcorn. But the whole drive home you have to massage your legs trying to get the blood flow back.
But, it's not as bad a resturant chairs that are wobbly. I've hit the floor twice in the years past 'cause the chair just couldn't hold me. Being fat in a world that still thinks most people are skinny hurts (mentally and physically).
437

Cmay said...

hehe...I'm so not laughing at but with you!

I don't even chance restaurant chairs. I eyeball closely, size em up...and if I'm not 1000% sure they can handle me...I figure something else out.

Sucks though...there are certain restaurants I can't go to anymore.

Melissa said...

This post made me feel so sad. At my highest weight I was 266 pounds. (6 months ago)I went to the movies once at that weight and my belly was in the way of me sitting comfortably. I was having trouble keeping my body only in my seat and crowding the people on either side of me. I was so embarrassed.

By far the most humiliating public experience was the restaurants though. When I stopped sitting in booths because I was too big...I was mortified. My husband came home from Iraq and every time we went out to eat I would tell him I needed a table because booths hurt my back (a total lie) because I was too ashamed to admit the truth. I have since lost 50 pounds and can sit comfortably in any booth I want. :) It has been 6 months since I started losing weight and just the other day I was eating out with my mom and was commenting on how much space I had sitting in the booth and she told me that I say that every time and that it must have really hurt me when I was not able to fit. It made me smile for me now and feel sad for the woman that I was.

Lois Hope said...

Hi Honestly Fat. I've been wedged in a rowing boat and passing men had to be called to help pull me out. Same has happened in a pit of foam. Movie seats. Yes. 100% ditto. Chairs stuck to my butt when I stand up. Have to buy two big skirts then cut and sew to make one skirt for me.
I think we should stick together and encourage each other, because life is hard when people judge us (or ignore us) on our appearance. Worst of all - those who think we LIKE to be like this and have chosen it!

Unknown said...

Hi, i read your site sporadically and i claim a comparative one and i was simply thinking about whether you get a great deal of spam comments? On the off chance that so how would you stop it, any module or anything you can exhort? I get so much of late it's making me crazy so any help is especially valued.
Theatre Seating Upholstery

 
Honestly FAT. Design by Pocket